Positive school climates are critically important for students to achieve their full academic and personal potential. But bullying can negatively impact students’ sense of social, emotional and physical safety – key components of a positive school climate.
Join EVERFI, Dr. Deborah Temkin, a recognized leader in the fields of school climate and school-based prevention, and Jenny Watson, middle school Family and Consumer Sciences teacher from North Carolina, for a deep dive into evidence-based teaching strategies for helping students grow their resilience in the face of adversity and build strong connections with others.
Key Takeaways for Instruction
- [3:15] EVERFI’s Erin Thwaites shares foundations in developing a positive school culture. Erin also discusses the impact of social emotional skills as alternate replacement behaviors for bullying.
- [6:35] Dr. Deborah Temkin addresses common misconceptions about the state of bullying and shares insights on effective bullying prevention and school climate, as well as core strategies for responding to bullied students to validate their experiences.
- [16:45] Middle School teacher Jenny Watson explains practices for establishing and adjusting the culture of your classroom, including the 4H’s and a ‘Safe Zone’ pledge.
- [25:56] Jenny offers her experiences in school-wide school culture projects. She shares best practices in student-led efforts like Unity Week, SEL-focused fundraisers, and district initiatives.
- [40:25] Erin delves into resources for getting started with bullying prevention education and offers student leadership lessons to support positive school climate.
- [46:40] Finally, the panel addresses audience questions including:
- How do you reset a toxic school environment? What timeframe is reasonable to see results?
- How do you address negative interactions on social media and online?
- Where should teachers start to organize anti-bullying activities outside the classroom? How do you get your colleagues involved?
Honor Code: Honor Code takes a practical approach to bullying prevention by empowering students to create positive change in their school community, whether they’re engaging in bullying, on the receiving end of it, or witnessing it in their school.
Capstone Project: Help prepare students to become leaders by guiding them to plan, execute and troubleshoot bullying prevention initiatives.
Stopbullying.gov: U.S. Department of Health and Human Service organization with federal resources and links to external resources.
Anti-Defamation League: Resources on bias-based bullying and building more inclusive communities.
Bring Honor Code to Your Classroom or School
Visit everfi.com/newteacher to Register an Account